Practical Thoughts

Life Should be Easy

Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Oribitz - Travelocity - Expedia type Indian Site

At last we have a Indian travel booking site on the lines of Orbitz, Travelocity and Expedia. Its Yatra.in!
The website is decent and has an interface which is quite familiar for people who have travelled a bit in the US.



I guess with the increasing purchasing power of the Indian Middle class and rise in disposable incomes, Yatra and its likes should be able to make it.

Yatra is funded by Anil Ambani's Reliance group along with CNN-IBN, CNBC and Northwest Venture Partners. And its got alliances with all major airlines in India.
What I like I Yatra is that they are planning to offer Train & bus tickets along with hotels. Also they have an option of car rentals in major cities. I believe the car would come with a driver :)

While this is a good start there is a long way to go. I was trying to book a package from Madras to Goa on a thursday. Sahara was the only flight they offered. I had to fly all the way to Delhi from Madras and then fly back to Goa in a connection. What if I missed my flight, I might be left stranded :)

Nevertheless I am excited by this..

3 Comments:

At 8/06/2006 8:42 PM, Blogger Aravind said...

Good find. Thanks for this.

 
At 8/07/2006 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Question about the flight tickets...has the Indian airline industry adopted the use to e-tickets? The website says "Free delivery of tickets". Does this mean that this service can only be used if you have an address in India where paper tickets can be delivered?

 
At 8/12/2006 7:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Goa - so thats where the couple is heading to, after the wedding! hmmm ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home