Practical Thoughts

Life Should be Easy

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Best Chicken Dish Ever

Everyone has their favorite version of a food item and I am no exception. This is the recipe of my favorite chicken dish.





Ingredients
1 lbs Chicken ( I prefer chicken with bones. 20 times tastier than boneless)
1 large Onion ( Preferably Indian or Red onions)
2 Medium Tomatoes
2 tsp Red Chilly powder
2 tsp cumin Powder
Pinch of Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Yogurt
Curry leaves
Some lime juice
Salt to taste

Method
Chop Onions and tomatoes into small pieces. Cut chicken into small pieces. Marinate it with 1 tsp of chilly powder, salt and yogurt. Leave it aside for atleast 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a ordinary pan. I would not prefer non-stick pans for this dish and most Indian dishes (1). Fry the onions till they are "golden" (2) brown. Now add the remaining chilly powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, curry leaves and salt and saute on low heat for 5 to 7 minutes. The flavor of the spices should come out nicely. Then add the chopped tomatoes and continue frying till they become soft. Add the chicken and stir fry for a minute. Add water to the vessel so that the chicken is just covered. Close it with a lid and let the chicken cook on medium or low heat.
After 15 to 20 minutes, most of the water would have evaporated. Now stir fry the chicken till the whole thing becomes nice and dry. Add a few drops of lime juice and fry. Once the chicken looks like the one in the picture stop cooking and leave the place.

I am writing this down so that I don't forget the recipe after my marriage. My fiancee is a pure vegetarian and chances are that I might stop making chicken soon ;)

(1) I think in Indian cooking things should burn and things should caramelize a bit. It surely adds to the taste
(2) Never understood what is "Golden Brown" when it came to frying onions. Whenever I fried onions they never became golden brown. The color just turned from whitish to not so whitish.

2 Comments:

At 6/15/2006 4:25 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

nice ... may be u should practice it well; so that u can treat me to it when i come visit u ....

funny i am commenting on chicken and my word verfication reads "eatkad" .. indian minds can stretch it a lil' bit to "eat kadai" !!!

 
At 6/25/2006 10:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

fed-ex a little bit over! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home