Practical Thoughts

Life Should be Easy

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Are Indians Courteous?
Surely we are not.

One of the qualities of Americans I really love is their courteousness. This is something which Indians must surely learn.I believe this is all a part of becoming a powerful economy and increased education. Also its a case of cultural difference I guess. Or is it proportional to your growth and development?

Right of Way
Pedestrians always have the right of way in the United States. I believe that this is a part of courtesy which has been enforced by law. The government has taken upon itself to bring in discipline and manners.

Holding the door for a person behind you..
This is an amazing habit which I see in people out here. If someone is just behind you and you are about to open and enter a room, you hold the door so that the person also comes in. What if you leave the door? Nothing much, he might just have a broken nose :-)

Thanking
People here always Thank others. Its a cultural thing I guess. We never say Thanks to others who help us, who do small things for us. We think its our prerogative that others should do things for us. Or may be we are just indifferent. Yes..That's the thing. Its indifference towards other's sensitivities that makes us the way we are.
A small thanks and an acknowledgement appreciating a person's gesture goes a long way.

Patience
They have a lot of patience when it comes to dealing with people. Our guys get pissed off when it comes to explaining some thing over and over. We just want to get over and get done with it. We don't do proper and deep research and try to help people out. But this is something the Americans do.

Snide Remarks
I happened to meet a person who had just landed from India. I hardly knew him for 10 minutes and he passes a rather insinuating remark. What did he think? I would appreciate his rude comment?
I do not have too many American friends but have some. They are generally so courteous and never hit at your personally. Again I think its a cultural thing. We are indifferent to other's sensitivities.

I guess a lot of these above points are to do with our economic background and a lot due to the cultural difference and there is a lot of scope for correction to happen.
As usual your comments are welcome!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home