Practical Thoughts

Life Should be Easy

Monday, August 14, 2006

Happy Independence Day - 59 Years of Freedom

I never get sentimental about such ocassions usually. But this time its different. I somehow feel bullish about India's prospects. We have a long way to go. Population, poverty, terrorism and so many issues still continue to hamper our growth. But if we look at what we have achieved as a country I feel very proud. In 1947 when British left, we were totally left to survive on our own. With the partition leaving an indelible blot in our history, and having to integrate a huge country, we started on a shaky ground. 59 years later, slowly, little by little, we have come a long way where we can atleast dream of a great future for our future generations.

I am optimistic about our country's future and this lies on the next generation of leaders.
May be I am feeling this way because I have been out of the country for 2 years now. May be because, for the first time most of us feel that something good is going to happen for many many years.

What the heck !! Felt like writing what I felt.So wrote !!
Happy August 15th to all fellow Indians !!

3 Comments:

At 8/14/2006 9:09 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

It not that easy. We all say "Happy" Independence Day. What are we happy about ? Why should we be happy? What have we done to contribute towards the success or growth of the present India.

We are optimistic and all but come to think of individual contributions - it boils down to a mere small percentage. Now, I dont mean that we should fight it out at the LOC or Indo-China border or something 'cause not everyone is made for the Army. But there are other ways one can contribute which can make one say that yes I am "Happy".

Still struggling to find out what that is. Let know if you happen to know a way to forge ahead.

 
At 8/15/2006 3:56 PM, Blogger Sandesh said...

Hey Nice comment Rajesh !!
Which part of Kerala are you from? I am from Kannur by the way.

To answer your question. I feel there are things we can do indirectly to improve our country.
1) Invest in Indian Companies
2) Invest in Infrastructure bonds
3) Help sponsor education for an underprivilleged child for lifetime. Udavum Karangal's Vidyakar is a shining example of how 1 man can a difference in the lives of so many people. If we can contribute Rs 10000 per year to his organization, we have taken care of education, food and dressing needs of a child. Thats 220 US dollars per year.
4) Pay Taxes properly
5) Try as much as possible to avoid bribing officials

These are all small but indirect ways we can serve our nation.

Let me know what you think.

 
At 8/15/2006 10:11 PM, Blogger Rajesh said...

@ Sandesh - I am from Ankamaly.

I know there's a lot that we CAN do. The question is what have we done? As I posted in my blog, I havent done anything more than a UNICEF contribution.

Unknowingly I know I have helped in many ways. Not destroying public property, not promoting bribery, Pay taxes etc..etc.

This is a never ending discussion and howmuchever you do is less. So let me start off with something that I am capable of doing right now. I dont care if I am not able to support education - would try to do something else. Need to figure out what, though !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home